D-Link DGE-528T (r8159) autonegotation of 1000 Mbps link does notwork

From: Petri T. Koistinen
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 02:27:30 EST

Hi!

I just brought two D-Link DGE-528T (uses r8159 driver) network adapters
to have nice 1 Gbps home network between two computers.

I have gigabit crossover cable that is connected like this

Pin Connector #1 Connector #2
1 white/orange white/green
2 orange green
3 white/green white/orange
4 blue white/brown
5 white/blue brown
6 green orange
7 white/brown blue
8 brown white/blue
(from: http://logout.sh/computers/net/gigabit/)

and when I use this cable I only get 10 Mbps connection when connected
another D-Link DGE-528T.

However if I connect other end of cable to Intel EtherExpress 100 Mbps
card, I get 100 Mbps connection auto-negotiated OK.

I can however force gigabit link on both D-Link DGE-528T using

insmod ./r8169.ko media=0x10

command. And I get about 15 MiB/s transfer speed when testing
with netcat and pmr[1] (without NAPI). Which I count as some kind of
sucky gigabit connection.

Few questions for you:

Do anyone know if there some known bug in auto-negotiation with
Realtek 8159 chip? (Or is that just wrong cable?)

Can I force 1000 Mbps link on some other way than giving option to
insmod? Using /proc or something?

What kind of transfer speed you have reached with these cards? That
15 MiB/s is not what I expected.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Petri Koistinen

[1]
Test setup:
Server: nc -l -p 2000 </dev/zero
Client: nc 192.168.1.1 2000 | pmr >/dev/null

pmr (ex. pipemeter) is a command line filter that measures
bandwidth going through the pipe:
http://zakalwe.fi/~shd/foss/pmr/pmr-0.12.tar.bz2