Re: Generic battery interface

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 19:30:02 EST

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:16:32AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> /dev/XXX
> + battery layer will need to be invented
> - that layer will need maintainer
> + maintainer ensures this is not a mess, allocates numbers

and figures out which features are identical, which not, etc. This
will actually be a lot easier than with keyboards: The number of
different battery drivers/types is rather limited fortunately.

note: It's absolutely necessary to limit the API to a well usable
SUBSET of a superset of the features of all drivers/devices,
even sacrificing obscure features to keep the API sane. One
example would be the HID Power spec, which simply can't be
supported to full extent by any sane API.

> - does not quite suit zaurus-style batteries, that can _only_ be
> polled. Can be worked-around by polling from kernel (and we
> are often doing that, anyway)

+ and the kernel can change the polling frequency based on power
saving state changes

--
Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs