Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org

From: Al Boldi
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 11:54:20 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Hans Reiser wrote:
> > As the other poster mentioned, they went off to startups, and did not
> > become part of our community. How much of that was because their
> > contributions were more hassled than welcomed, I cannot say with
> > certainty, I can only say that they were discouraged by the difficulty
> > of getting their stuff in, and this was not as it should have been.
> > They were more knowledgeable than we were on the topics they spoke on,
> > and this was not recognized and acknowledged.
> >
> > Outsiders are not respected by the kernel community. This means we miss
> > a lot.
>
> Anyone who fails to respect the kernel development process, the process
> of building consensus, is turn not respected, flamed, and/or ignored.
>
> If you don't respect us, why should we respect you?

Respect what? The process or the content?

Rejecting content due to disrespect for process guidelines would be rather
sad.

If the content is worth its salt, it should be accepted w/o delay, then
modified to comply with the process guidelines as necessary. It's what the
GPL allows, afterall.

Thanks!

--
Al