Re: Yet more display troubles with 2.6.15-rc5-mm2

From: Antonino A. Daplas
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 19:06:33 EST

Jesper Juhl wrote:
> In addition to the problem I reported earlier about 2.6.15-rc5-mm2
> hanging at boot with vga=791 I've just discovered another problem.
>
> If I boot with vga=normal (which is aparently all that works), then I
> can boot up to a nice lain text login and run startx, but if I then
> switch away from X back to a text console with ctrl+alt+f6 or if I
> shut down X, then I'm presented with a completely garbled text mode
> screen - flashing coloured blocks all over, random bits of text at
> random locations etc.
>
> Also, when starting X, just before the cursor appears I normally just
> have a black screen. With this kernel I first get a short blink of a
> garbled graphics mode screeen with either what looks like just random
> pixels or sometimes with something that looks like a mangled snapshot
> of my text mode console, or if I kill X with ctrl+alt+backspace and
> then start it again (the garbled text mode console does work, although
> I'm glad I know how to touch type ;) then I sometimes get what looks
> like a snapshot of my previous X session with random pixels on top.
> The garbled graphical screen stays for just a blink of an eye, then
> it's replaced with the normal black screen and the mouse cursor.
>
> 2.6.15-rc5-git1 works perfectly without these issues.

I cannot reproduce your problem...

If set, can you comment out Load "dri" and/or Load "glx" from your
X config?

Can you try another X driver, ie, vesa?

Also, these 2 patches are present in mm but not in Linus' tree. Can
you check which of these are the culprit, if any?

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc2/2.6.15-rc2-mm1/broken-out/vgacon-fix-doublescan-mode.patch
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc2/2.6.15-rc2-mm1/broken-out/vgacon-workaround-for-resize-bug-in-some-chipsets.patch

Tony