Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc5: multiuser scheduling trouble

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 19:09:14 EST

Helge,
did this start at any particular point in time?

Also, the most common case is that somebody has reniced the X server,
which is just _wrong_. It used to be done by some distributions to try to
help the scheduler make the right choices, but we've fixed the scheduler
and it doesn't need it or want it.

So if you actually run with a reniced X server these days, it just means
that the X server will have much higher priority and the starvation comes
simply from the fact that you have a process that has been marked as much
more important than any other process. Which in turn _does_ mean that
other processes will starve.

Linus