Yet more display troubles with 2.6.15-rc5-mm2

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 16:05:48 EST

In addition to the problem I reported earlier about 2.6.15-rc5-mm2
hanging at boot with vga=791 I've just discovered another problem.

If I boot with vga=normal (which is aparently all that works), then I
can boot up to a nice lain text login and run startx, but if I then
switch away from X back to a text console with ctrl+alt+f6 or if I
shut down X, then I'm presented with a completely garbled text mode
screen - flashing coloured blocks all over, random bits of text at
random locations etc.

Also, when starting X, just before the cursor appears I normally just
have a black screen. With this kernel I first get a short blink of a
garbled graphics mode screeen with either what looks like just random
pixels or sometimes with something that looks like a mangled snapshot
of my text mode console, or if I kill X with ctrl+alt+backspace and
then start it again (the garbled text mode console does work, although
I'm glad I know how to touch type ;) then I sometimes get what looks
like a snapshot of my previous X session with random pixels on top.
The garbled graphical screen stays for just a blink of an eye, then
it's replaced with the normal black screen and the mouse cursor.

2.6.15-rc5-git1 works perfectly without these issues.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>