RE: merge status

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 12:20:02 EST

>>Is Tony's strategy described anywhere?
>
>Tony's mail.

There have been a couple of updates to the doc since
then to keep pace with changes in GIT. The latest
is in the GIT sources in:

Documentation/howto/using-topic-branches.txt

[or just click on http://tinyurl.com/bzll2]

It sounds like our approaches are very similar, just some
differences in terminology (you say "theme branch"
where I say "topic branch" etc.). Plus perhaps some
variations in usage. Almost all of my topic branches
only ever see one commit (or one series of commits if
the patch was supplied as a series of patches). Plus
I haven't exported topic branches, mostly because I don't
often see people building on them[1]. But there are always
exceptions to any rule, so I did have a "swiotlb" branch
during this last pass to keep track of the move of
swiotlb.c out of arch/ia64/lib/ and into lib/.

So a review of the note I contributed to the GIT documents
would be helpful ... especially if you have any nifty
scripts that you use to manage things that you feel like
sharing.

-Tony

[1] But perhaps beacuse I don't what Linus to think I have
an oversize head: http://tinyurl.com/c3z53 :-)