Re: merge status

From: Keith Owens
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 03:21:22 EST

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:47:36 -0500,
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Brown, Len wrote:
>> I do have a bundle of Linux specific bug fixes to push,
>> but I didn't follow Tony's git branching strategy
>> correctly at first,
>
>Is Tony's strategy described anywhere?

Tony's mail.

----------------------------------

Subject: change to the ia64 GIT trees
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:00:38 -0700
From: "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-ia64@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <akpm@xxxxxxxx>

Now that GIT is smarter, and I'm more aware of what it can do
(and how to make it do it), I'm making a small change to how
I export GIT trees on kernel.org.

Instead of having separate trees for test and release, there
is now just one tree which contains "test" and "release" branches.
[or there will be soon when my deletion of the old test tree
is reflected on the kernel.org mirrors].

You can pull each of the branches separately with:

$ git pull rsync://rsync.kernel.org/..../aegl/linux-2.6 test
or
$ git pull rsync://rsync.kernel.org/..../aegl/linux-2.6 release

I wrote a "howto" for GIT about using branches as a Linux
subsystem maintainer that was included in the GIT sources
yesterday. You can read a copy at http://tinyurl.com/d57dc