Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 0.99.9g

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 12:13:18 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

Oh, and we will not be moving things out of /usr/bin/ during 1.0
timeframe.

:( bummer. I do like the elegance of having /usr/bin/git executing stuff out of /usr/libexec/git.

/usr/libexec/git also makes it IMO cleaner when integrating git plugins from third parties (rpm -Uvh git-newfeature), because you don't have to worry about the /usr/bin namespace.

It's nice in concept, but I think there are a lot of reasons why this is a bad idea:

- "man" doesn't handle it. It would be another thing if "man" could be taught to understand commands like "man cvs checkout" or "man git fetch".

- There is no general way to teach shells etc about it, for tab completion etc.

- Makes it harder (but not impossible) to run git from a build directory without installing it first.

In comparison, the issue of clutter in /usr/bin is actually a pretty small issue, especially with htree. Most vendors have gone back to putting everything into /usr/bin since all variants that involve splitting it up seem to be more of a loss than a gain.

-hpa