Re: what's next for the linux kernel?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 23:12:32 EST

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:24:16AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 11:49:57PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Let's hope these posts will stop when the UK starts to allow serving
> > drinks after 23:00. Post from half-drunk people that need to get a life
> > don't really help a lot.
>
> hi, christoph,
>
> i assume that your global world-wide distribution of this message
> was a mistake on your part. but, seeing as it _has_ gone out to
> literally thousands of extremely busy people, i can only apologise
> to them on your behalf for the mistake of wasting their valuable
> time.

If you think this, you don't know Christoph then. We all know him
for his "warm words" and his frankness. Sometimes he may be quite
a bit excessive, but here I tend to agree with him. He simply meant
that these long threads are often totally useless and consume a lot
of time to real developers. Generally speaking, calling developers
to tell them "hey, you work the wrong way" is not productive. If you
tell them that you can improve their work and show some code, it's
often more appreciated. Yes I know you provided some links to sites,
but without proposing one real guideline nor project. You'd better
have posted something like "announce: merging of l4linux into
mainline" and telling people that you will start a slow, non-intrusive
merging work of one of your favorite project. You'd have got lots
of opposition but this would have been more productive than just
speaking about philosophy.

> let's also hope that people who believe that comments such as the one
> that you have made are useful and productive also think about the
> consequences of doing so, bear in mind that internet archives are
> forever, and also that they check whether the person that they are
> criticising drinks at _all_.

[ cut all the uninteresting info about your drinking habits that you
sent to the whole world and which will be archived forever ]

Regards,
Willy