Re: Strange disk corruption with Linux >= 2.6.13

From: Rogério Brito
Date: Sun Oct 02 2005 - 23:18:04 EST

Hi, Grant, Nigel and others following this thread.

On Oct 02 2005, Grant Coady wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:36:55 -0300, Rogério Brito <rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I removed what was extracted right away and tried again to extract
> >the tree (at this point, suspecting even that something in software
> >had problems). The problem with bzip2 occurred again. Then, I
> >rebooted the system an the problem magically went away.
>
> This rings a bell, recently I reported a problem:
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0508.1/1332.html

Thanks for the information. I am on-and-off experimenting with
goldmemory and memtester86+ to see if I can find something with more
than 512MB that is stable.

I am, right now, using 512MB + 256MB slowed down to PC100 speeds. It
seems to be stable with this configuration (having survived some memory
tests, the decoding of lots of FLAC files in a row and using the machine
as usual---with low consumption things like mutt and browsing with
lynx).

> Turned out to be bad memory stick :o)

The thing is that any stick alone doesn't seem to generate a problem.
Only when they are used simultaneously

I will test it more to see what may be wrong with my setup. :-( I still
have not isolated and understood the problem completely. :-(

Thanks for the feedback, Rogério.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx : http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito
Homepage on freshmeat: http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/