Re: promise sx8 sata driver

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 18:16:54 EST

Chris Haumesser wrote:
The sx8 driver does not use libata, and it is a separate block device,
outside of the scsi and ata hierarchies. If I compile the driver into
my kernel, I end up with /dev/sx8/0 and /dev/sx8/0p1, etc. However, no
scsi disk devices are created, and grub does not recognize that
/dev/sx8/ devices are disks. There's no indication in /proc/scsi/ that
they are being registered with the scsi subsystem; this is clearly
different from every other sata controller I've used. I've been
googling this for days, with no real luck. I have found changelogs for
grub that suggest that my version (0.95) should support booting from the
sx8.

sx8 is a separate block driver, and has nothing whatsoever to do with scsi.

So my question is, how does one use this driver for sata disks? Is my
problem a grub problem, or does it have something to do with the fact

a grub problem

What is the relationship between the promise driver and the one included
in the kernel? Why does one work differently from the other? Is there

Promise SX8 provides neither an ATA nor SCSI interface to the developer, so its not written as an ATA or SCSI driver.

Jeff