Re: Re[2]: ata over ethernet question

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 17:05:32 EST

Hi

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Sander wrote:

> David Hollis wrote (ao):
> > There seem to be a few iSCSI implementations floating around for
> > Linux, hopefully one will be added to mainline soon. Most of those
> > implementations are for the client side though there is at least one
> > target implementation that allows you to provide local storage to
> > iSCSI clients. I don't remember the name of it or if it's still
> > maintained or not.
>
> Quite active even:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/iscsitarget/
>
> The "Quick Guide to iSCSI on Linux" is a good starting point btw.
>
> Also check out http://www.open-iscsi.org/ (the client, aka 'initiator').

A follow up question - I recently used nbd to access a CD-ROM. It worked
nice, but, I had to read in 7 CDs, so, each time I had to replace a CD, I
had to stop the client, the server, then replace the CD, re-start the
server, re-start the client... I thought about extending NBD to (better)
support removable media, but then you start thinking about all those
features that your local block device has that don't get exported over
NBD...

Now, my understanding (sorry, without looking at any docs - yet) is, that
iSCSI is (or at least should be) free from these limitations. So, does it
make any sense at all extending NBD or just switch to iSCSI? Should NBD be
just kept simple as it is or would it be completely superseeded by iSCSI,
or is there still something that NBD does that iSCSI wouldn't (easily) do?

Or am I completely misunderstanding what iSCSI target does?

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski