Re: ata over ethernet question

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 03:59:56 EST

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
Hi

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Sander wrote:

David Hollis wrote (ao):

There seem to be a few iSCSI implementations floating around for
Linux, hopefully one will be added to mainline soon. Most of those
implementations are for the client side though there is at least one
target implementation that allows you to provide local storage to
iSCSI clients. I don't remember the name of it or if it's still
maintained or not.

Quite active even:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iscsitarget/

The "Quick Guide to iSCSI on Linux" is a good starting point btw.

Also check out http://www.open-iscsi.org/ (the client, aka 'initiator').

A follow up question - I recently used nbd to access a CD-ROM. It worked nice, but, I had to read in 7 CDs, so, each time I had to replace a CD, I had to stop the client, the server, then replace the CD, re-start the server, re-start the client... I thought about extending NBD to (better) support removable media, but then you start thinking about all those features that your local block device has that don't get exported over NBD...

Now, my understanding (sorry, without looking at any docs - yet) is, that iSCSI is (or at least should be) free from these limitations. So, does it make any sense at all extending NBD or just switch to iSCSI? Should NBD be just kept simple as it is or would it be completely superseeded by iSCSI, or is there still something that NBD does that iSCSI wouldn't (easily) do?

Or am I completely misunderstanding what iSCSI target does?

Actually, this is property not of iSCSI target itself, but of any SCSI target. So, we implemented it as part of our SCSI target mid-level (SCST, http://scst.sourceforge.net), therefore any target driver working over it will automatically benefit from this feature. Unfortunately, currently available only target drivers for Qlogic 2x00 cards and for poor UNH iSCSI target (that works not too reliable and only with very specific initiators). The published version supports only real SCSI CDROMs. CDROM FILEIO module, which allows exporting ISO images as SCSI CDROM devices, going to be available not later end of May.

Vlad

Thanks
Guennadi
---