Re: Power management of old ISA devices (Re: mark older power managment as deprecated)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 15:51:29 EST

Hi!

> > What about this patch? It marks old power managemnt as obsolete (and
> > also adds some sparse-style type checking; typedefs were already there
> > so why not use them?). I think it should go in, so that we can get a
> > rid of old power managment infrastructure post-2.6.11.
>
> ALSA core part still includes pm_register/unregister() for old
> (non-PnP) ISA devices.
>
> What is the proper way to register/unregister PM hooks for such
> devices?

How are PnP ISA devices handled?

Right solution for ISA devices is probably to create an ISA bus in
driver model, and hook such devices there....

Alternatively, you might just hang them onto platform bus, in similar
way i8042 uses...

Imagine this configuration:

cpu -- PCI #1 -- PCI to PCI bridge -- PCI #2 -- PCI to ISA bridge -- sound card #1 on 0x100
\- PCI to PCI bridge -- PCI #3 -- PCI to ISA bridge -- sound card #2 on 0x100

...would you say that's supported? If yes you'd need to create ISA
buses and do it properly, otherwise hooking to platform bus is
probably acceptable.

Pavel