Re: Power management of old ISA devices (Re: mark older power managment as deprecated)

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 13:16:40 EST

At Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:22:45 +0100,
Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > What about this patch? It marks old power managemnt as obsolete (and
> > > also adds some sparse-style type checking; typedefs were already there
> > > so why not use them?). I think it should go in, so that we can get a
> > > rid of old power managment infrastructure post-2.6.11.
> >
> > ALSA core part still includes pm_register/unregister() for old
> > (non-PnP) ISA devices.
> >
> > What is the proper way to register/unregister PM hooks for such
> > devices?
>
> How are PnP ISA devices handled?

Sorry, correction: pm_register() is used for both ISA PnP and non-PnP
devices.

> Right solution for ISA devices is probably to create an ISA bus in
> driver model, and hook such devices there....

Yep.

> Alternatively, you might just hang them onto platform bus, in similar
> way i8042 uses...

This looks easier to implement as a temporary solution until ISA bus
is implemented. We know how many instances are to be initiailized in
advance, so each driver object can have a unique name.

> Imagine this configuration:
>
> cpu -- PCI #1 -- PCI to PCI bridge -- PCI #2 -- PCI to ISA bridge -- sound card #1 on 0x100
> \- PCI to PCI bridge -- PCI #3 -- PCI to ISA bridge -- sound card #2 on 0x100
>
> ...would you say that's supported? If yes you'd need to create ISA
> buses and do it properly, otherwise hooking to platform bus is
> probably acceptable.

Well, I don't think this can be problematic on ISA soundcards with
platform_device. Anyway, I'll try to implement platform_device at
first as a test...

Thanks!

Takashi