Re: SO_RCVLOWAT option to socket()

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 17:09:20 EST

On Gwe, 2004-12-10 at 04:06, Rob Sanders wrote:
> Hey y'all,
> Can anyone point me to a resource for why SO_RCVLOWAT is hardcoded
> to 1 in linux?

The 1003.1g drafts require it is supported.

> If you are using select or poll with timeouts it would be less costly
> to have the kernel tell you
> when all of the data you reqested (via SO_RCVLOWAT) is ready to be read

But is the cost of all those special case checks and all the handling
for
it such as select computing if enough tcp packets together accumulated
worth
the cost on every app not using LOWAT for the microscopic gain given
that
essentially nobody uses it.

Alan