Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm3-V0.7.32-15

From: Mark_H_Johnson
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 17:11:49 EST

Here is my get_ltrace.sh script (at the end).

So I read the preempt_max_latency (to see if its changed) before
I copy the latency_trace output. I am not so sure that cat is
really doing an "atomic" read when some of the latency traces
are over 300 Kbytes in length.

Also note that some of the files were empty :-(. I don't think
I've seen that symptom before.

Note that the preempt_max_latency value DID match the last line of
the trace output in the example I described. It is just the header
that had some stale data in it.

--Mark

--- get_ltrace.sh ---

#!/bin/sh

let MAX=`cat /proc/sys/kernel/preempt_max_latency`
let I=0 J=1
let MP=${1:-1000}
echo "Current Maximum is $MAX, limit will be $MP."
while (( I < 100 )) ; do
sleep 1s
let NOW=`cat /proc/sys/kernel/preempt_max_latency`
if (( MAX != NOW )) ; then
echo "New trace $I w/ $NOW usec latency."
cat /proc/latency_trace > lt.`printf "%02d" $I`
# sync ; sync
let I++
let MAX=NOW
elif (( J++ >= 10 )) ; then
if (( MAX != MP )) ; then
echo "Resetting max latency from $MAX to $MP."
echo $MP > /proc/sys/kernel/preempt_max_latency
let MAX=$MP
else
echo "No new latency samples at `date`."
fi
let J=1
# else do nothing...
fi