Re: _High_ CPU usage while routing (mostly) small UDP packets

From: jamal
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 23:34:54 EST

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 16:10, Karsten Desler wrote:
> Karsten Desler <kdesler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Current packetload on eth0 (and reversed on eth1):
> > 115kpps tx
> > 135kpps rx
>
> I totally forgot to mention: There are approximately 100k concurrent
> flows.

;-> Aha. That would make a huge difference. I know of noone
who has actually done this level of testing. I have tried upto about 50K
flows myself in early 2.6.x and was eventually compute bound.
Really try compiling out totaly iptables/netfilter - it will make a
difference.
You may also want to try something like LC trie algorithm that Robert
and co are playing with to see if it makes a difference with this many
flows.

cheers,
jamal