Re: Linux 2.6.8-rc4 "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!" - af ter replacing /fadsroot on the Linux NFSserver with the one from Arabella cdrom

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 15:55:26 EST

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 00:32, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> PЕ ty , 28/09/2004 klokka 23:14, skreiv Povolotsky, Alexander:
> > In my previous e-mail I forgot to mention that on the remote NFS Linux
> > (Intel PC) server I am running:
> >
> > Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
> > Kernel 2.4.20-28.9 on an i686
> >
> > I have another strange problem to report - related to NFS.
> > To work around my original problem (reported in my previous e-mail),
> > I am booting with ramdisk as root filesystem server and then trying to
> > manually mount the /fadsroot exported on the
> > above described Linux NFS server - I am getting errors ( but mounting still
> > works) ...
> >
> > Could anyone on this list determine (guess) what is the reason for errors
> > (see below) ?
>
> You have to use the "-onolock" option if you are not running the
> rpc.portmap and rpc.statd daemons.

Or alternatively configure 127.0.0.1 on loopback and
start portmapper before you mount NFS. You can kill portmapper
before you pivot_root into "real" root dir.

>From /linuxrc on my initrd:

echo "# Configuring interfaces"
# Optional, for NFS happiness
ip l set dev lo up
ip a add 127.0.0.1/8 dev lo
rpc.portmap # for statd (which is implicitly started by mount)
while true; do
mount -n -o ro $ROOTFS /new_root \
&& break
echo "mount -n -o ro $ROOTFS /new_root failed (err:$?)"; sleep 2
done
killall rpc.portmap # portmap keeps old root busy
vda