Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 03:39:07 EST

> Let me be clear that I am unwilling to support changes to the DRM that break
> it's usability on other operating systems on principle.

I'm in agreement on that, ...

> Maybe it's time to consider a fork of the DRM to allow a major experimentation
> of the form Jon envisages to proceed without worrying about boring constraints
> like keeping BSD working, backwards compatibility, etc. And the current DRM
> architecture, which is pretty much stabilized, can continue to do those boring
> tasks, and accumulate new drivers, until GNULonghorn is finished...

I think it might be an idea myself, but not at this stage, I think a month
or two from now it might be a better time, if we get an agreeable
re-design done, then I'd be willing to let a fork proceed from that point,
so that at least the DRMs are all coming from the same point,

I think we should hold off on putting 2d stuff into the 3d drivers until
the DRM is rearchitected into a nice clean stable system that is actually
liked by kernel developers :-), I'm pushing the second set of macros
removals to Linus over the next week, along with experimenting on a
core/library tree...

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person