Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Keith Whitwell
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 03:26:55 EST

Dave Airlie wrote:
drm/linux is GPL licensed.

This just isn't true. What on earth makes you think this? Read the license
before you make these sorts of comments, you dweeb. There shouldn't be any
GPL code in there at all.

I think you mis-read Keith, he said about converting it in the future to
that form. I'm as I said against the GPL'ing of any of this at this stage,
we have all the info we need in X DDXes they are all usually X licensed so
I don't for see issues with ripping the code from them..

OK, it's a proposal rather than a statement. Apologies in that case.

Let me be clear that I am unwilling to support changes to the DRM that break it's usability on other operating systems on principle.

Maybe it's time to consider a fork of the DRM to allow a major experimentation of the form Jon envisages to proceed without worrying about boring constraints like keeping BSD working, backwards compatibility, etc. And the current DRM architecture, which is pretty much stabilized, can continue to do those boring tasks, and accumulate new drivers, until GNULonghorn is finished...

Keith