Re: New proposed DRM interface design

From: Keith Whitwell
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 04:03:24 EST

Dave Airlie wrote:
Let me be clear that I am unwilling to support changes to the DRM that break
it's usability on other operating systems on principle.

I'm in agreement on that, ...

Maybe it's time to consider a fork of the DRM to allow a major experimentation
of the form Jon envisages to proceed without worrying about boring constraints
like keeping BSD working, backwards compatibility, etc. And the current DRM
architecture, which is pretty much stabilized, can continue to do those boring
tasks, and accumulate new drivers, until GNULonghorn is finished...

I think it might be an idea myself, but not at this stage, I think a month
or two from now it might be a better time, if we get an agreeable
re-design done, then I'd be willing to let a fork proceed from that point,
so that at least the DRMs are all coming from the same point,

This seems a good plan.

I think we should hold off on putting 2d stuff into the 3d drivers until
the DRM is rearchitected into a nice clean stable system that is actually
liked by kernel developers :-), I'm pushing the second set of macros
removals to Linus over the next week, along with experimenting on a
core/library tree...

Thanks for the great work you're putting into this, it's very much appreciated. Apologies for my pre-morning-coffee grumpiness...

Keith