Re: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches

From: Thomas Winischhofer
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 22:05:45 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:07:04 +0200
Thomas Winischhofer <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK and if the authors of, say, SMP support say "back it out", Linux ends up without SMP support. Cool.

If you could get each and every author of SMP support to agree,
sure. But good luck getting that is quite a large group of
folks and since Linus is one of those authors.

And last I checked, no binary-only module hooks were added to
the SMP support recently, so nothing for them to get upset
about. :-)

For crying out loud - that was an example. Forget the hook and forget the binary part of the pwc driver.

s/SMP support/RTL8139 driver/g

Get the point?

A license is a license. We can't just obey a single driver's author's daily mood. (And for those who don't know: IAAL. Fact.)

I understand that Nemosoft got mad... what GKH did was a little like calling you an a**hole with a smile on your face. No offense towards Greg, he does a brillant job. Nemosoft will calm down (if his pride permits and we don't make him look like he's losing his face - so shut up).

Don't behave like children, please.

You have no idea how often I god mad over a maintainer's opinion. No names now. Did I ever revoke the sisfb or my XFree86/X.org driver license?

Short version: I just think Greg and Linus are too nice in this very case. Keeping the open source part of pwc in the kernel is - based on the fact that the driver has been committed under the GPL - a matter that shouldn't be subject to discussions at all, of that kind and especially that wording. Hook or no hook. Once again, forget the hook and forget the binary part.

If we can agree on the driver without the hook, fine.

(Let the flamewar begin: The binary pwcx is 0x3000 bytes of asm code. No FPU stuff, just data tables. The 3 algos in question are pretty primitive. Ridiculous. If there is anybody who really wants it, we'll have an open souce C version within a week. People now thinking that I ignore the SCO case please write to me privately. I am ready to explain the difference between patent and copyright law and the world's general legal opinion on reverse-engineering. And even it's the 1013481791873th time. But don't be surprised if you get a form letter.)

Suggestion to Nemosoft (I hope your mail address still works): What about the following model:

1) We have an open source driver (without decompression) in the mainline kernel (which you maintain).

2) You provide a binary-only module which entirely replaces the mainline module? This way you don't need the hook. Just put everything in a single module that, by a patch and a binary, replaces the entire mainline version.

Extra maintainance effort: Zero.

Besides: If your NDA really expired a year ago, what's the point? (Please send me the NDA privately. I can give you a reliable legal opinion.)

Kids, please. How old are you? Please keep our common goal in mind.

Cheers.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer