2.6.x Scheduler, preemption and responsiveness - puzzlement

From: Sid Boyce
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 17:15:00 EST

With the 2.6 kernel I expected that my boxes would be responsive under heavy loads such as exacted by updatedb. What I'm finding is that when updatedb and other heavy hitters are running, I'm often unable to switch desktops or start other tasks. I'm currently using 2.6.7-mm1, but this has been true for all 2.6 kernels. I have CONFIG_PREEMPT=y, /proc/sys/kernel/kernel_preemption doesn't exist.
SuSE 9.1, Athlon XP2800+, 512M.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
===== LINUX ONLY USED HERE =====