Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: jmerkey
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 13:32:18 EST

> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 04:36:14PM +0000, jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > > Do you create a subdirectory for every user?
> > Yes. Snort creates a subdirectory for each IP address identified as
> generation an attack
> > or alert. This number can get very large, BTW.
>
> The last time I looked at snort it created a tcpdump capture file of the
> days activity. I remember seeing the behaviour you describe in an earlier
> release, so either you have an old version (which you should probably
> update given snort's sketchy security hole history),

This is the lastest 2.1.3 version they are posting.

or theres a configuration
> option that you might be able to fiddle with to get it to work in capture-file
> mode.

not using capture file mode for this instantiation. Sooner or later EXT(whatever) should
handle more than 32000 files in a single directory. I will submit a patch to Andi and
Andreas to review with this change. May make some sense. Since most folks install Linux
on a clean system and really are not doing a lot of cross compatible FS swapping of
hard drives, it really should be low impact if a system uses on-disk structures that
are larger, provided they are not downgrading their system to an older kernel. Using a
different partition type may be the easiest way to do this without casuing breakage across
linux kernels and EXT versions.

Jeff