Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: Dave Jones
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 12:07:57 EST

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 04:36:14PM +0000, jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Do you create a subdirectory for every user?
> Yes. Snort creates a subdirectory for each IP address identified as generation an attack
> or alert. This number can get very large, BTW.

The last time I looked at snort it created a tcpdump capture file of the
days activity. I remember seeing the behaviour you describe in an earlier
release, so either you have an old version (which you should probably
update given snort's sketchy security hole history), or theres a configuration
option that you might be able to fiddle with to get it to work in capture-file
mode.

Either way, it's got to be easier than hacking ext3 code 8)

Dave