Re: Autoregulate swappiness & inactivation

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 02:59:43 EST

Andrew Morton writes:

Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ah what the heck. They can only be knocked back to where they already are.

hm. You get an eGrump for sending two patchs in one email. Surprisingly
nice numbers though.

How come vm_swappiness gets squared? That's the mysterious "bias
downwards", yes? What's the theory there?

No real world feedback mechanism is linear. As the pressure grows the positive/negative feedback grows exponentially.

Please define this new term "application pages"?

errm it's fuzzy to say the least. It's the closest I can come to representing what end users understand as "non-cached" pages.

Those si_swapinfo() and si_meminfo() calls need to come out of there.

I'm game. I had the idea but not the skill. Anyone wanna help me with that?

A diff against Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt will be needed sometime,
please.

Ok. I'll try and put together one patch that does the lot.

Con