Re: why swap at all?

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 09:53:20 EST

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:18, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> >>
> >>Exactly !
> >>Does autoregulated VM swap. patch could help here ?
> >
> > Con's auto-adjusting swappiness patch did in fact help that quite a bit,
> > especially for the case of heavy file I/O causing process images to be
> > swapped out. I need to do some comparisons of that to Nick's MM work...
>
> I haven't had a chance to try Con's stuff, the Nick patch is working
> VERY well for me, small memory and slow system, lots of memory pressure.
> Hopefully you can report a comparison.

Well note there are two revisions available now. The original linear design is
here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.7-rc2/patch-2.6.7-rc2-am11

and there is an exponential curve bias in this one which will probably
deprecate the last one:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.7-rc2/patch-2.6.7-rc2-as

I am keen to get more feedback; apart from what I get off list there has been
very little in the way of reports.

Con