Re: why swap at all?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 09:23:43 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 07:38:41 +0200, FabF said:

Yes but: your wm is so often used/activated it will not get swaped out. But if your mouse passes over mozilla and tries to focus it, then you will
feel the pain of a swapped-out x program.

Exactly !
Does autoregulated VM swap. patch could help here ?

Con's auto-adjusting swappiness patch did in fact help that quite a bit,
especially for the case of heavy file I/O causing process images to be swapped
out. I need to do some comparisons of that to Nick's MM work...

I haven't had a chance to try Con's stuff, the Nick patch is working VERY well for me, small memory and slow system, lots of memory pressure. Hopefully you can report a comparison.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)