Re: i386 very early memory detection cleanup patch breaks the build

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 16:46:17 EST

James Bottomley wrote:
The attached should fix it again.

Could you perhaps describe which architecture this is a problem on, and what its entry condition looks like?

This tampering with the trampoline was extraneous to the actual patch. The rule should be that if you don't understand what something is doing,
don't try to fix it.

I removed it because I removed the VISWS dependency, thus making it redundant. What you seem to be saying is that the dependency should have been on SMP not X86_SMP; if that's the issue then please make it so.

I think you just needed to apply your own rule to the above statement.

In this case CONFIG_X86_TRAMPOLINE is needed for the subarch's that
provide their own SMP code but still use the standard trampoline. I
always thought the visws used the trampoline even in UP boot, but if it
doesn't, just take out the X86_VISWS dependency.

It doesn't anymore. The only reason it did was because of stupid partitioning between head.S and trampoline.S, which the patch cleans up.

-hpa