Re: [Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 802.11b driver

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 17:42:01 EST

vda wrote:

*FLAME ALERT*
/me is slowly getting mad about his prism54 11g hardware
and its firmware, with neither firmware authors nor documentation
for this pile of silicon crap nowhere in sight

What's so cool about having binary firmware? Bugs are bugs,
and you won't be able to even see bugs, less fix, in it.
I don't like being at the mercy of firmware authors.

There are two common reasons for binary firmware:
1 - it runs on some sort of a state machine implemented in an ASIC or other device for which you have no manuals or assembler.
2 - since these devices are regulated all to hell by the FCC and other non-technical groups balancing technical advice with political pressure, a user might code the device out of spec, causing some manner of legal hassle.

I don't know if (1) applies here, but I'd bet (2) is applicable.

Let's be happy that we have a driver and treat the device as a black box. There are people paid to know enought details to write firmware, I'm happy to treat NICs and CD/DVD burners with the "buy good and update firmware at the first problem." Keeping the old firmaware of course.

-bill