Re: [Evms-devel] Re: evms plugin for hptraid support <<<pre-alpha>>>

From: Wilfried Weissmann
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 14:51:16 EST

Sergey Vlasov wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:16:33 +0100 Wilfried Weissmann wrote:

this is my attempt to add support for the ataraid devices to the 2.6 kernel. the code is as far as possible from being mature and useable as one could imagine (i have not even requested any plugin-ids for the evms engine). for now it only detects the HPT370A controller, because of i am checking the pci-ids of the controller to prevent that any non-raid disks are stolen by the raid module. this would happen with the current ataraid code from the kernel v2.4.

I'm not sure if this PCI ID checking is a good thing. With ataraid
drivers, if your FakeRAID controller gets broken for some reason, you
can just attach the disks to any available IDE controller and get
access to your data. With the proposed PCI ID check this ability will
be lost.

The problem with stale RAID superblocks on disks may be solved by
adding a command to clear the RAID superblocks without touching the
rest of data.

I can create a configuration option that controls or disables the PCI check. Claiming all disks that have raid signatures is a great feature for debugging and disaster recovery, but I think that if this is the default then it is more trouble than it is worth.

Regards,
Wilfried