Re: devfs vs udev, thoughts from a devfs user

From: Diego Calleja García
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 15:43:01 EST

El Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:46:16 -0500 Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Mike Bell wrote:
>
> > Why does it make management easier to have no predictable name for a
> > device?
>
> I believe this is a misconception.
>
> Udev uses standard rules by default. If the end-user (or their distro)
> wants to add additional rules or override these rules, they can do that.

It even communicate the addition/removal of devices to userspace applications
through DBUS (freedesktop.org standard that will be adopted by kde,
gnome, etc - ie: useful stuff). So you don't even need to know the device names:
the application will receive the notificacion.

Of course, this is doable with devfs. But it's been done already, in a
*much* cleaner way, with udev. So why bother, I wonder...