Re: devfs vs udev, thoughts from a devfs user

From: dleonard
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 14:22:15 EST

For mount 2.12 /etc/mtab doesn't get updated correctly but umount is at least smart (or dumb) enough not to do the wrong thing.

r:dryad:/tmp# mkdir /tmp/a /tmp/b
r:dryad:/tmp# mount -t ramfs none /tmp/a
r:dryad:/tmp# touch /tmp/a/foo
r:dryad:/tmp# mount --move /tmp/a /tmp/b
r:dryad:/tmp# ls /tmp/b
foo

r:dryad:/tmp# cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda2 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda5 /usr ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
none /tmp/a ramfs rw 0 0
/tmp/a /tmp/b none rw 0 0

r:dryad:/tmp# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /usr ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
none /tmp/b ramfs rw 0 0

r:dryad:/tmp# umount /tmp/a
umount: none: not found
umount: /tmp/a: not mounted
umount: none: not found
umount: /tmp/a: not mounted
r:dryad:/tmp# ls /tmp/b
foo

This problem *does* occur exactly as Greg says with mount 2.11n (debian) though.

--

<Douglas Leonard>
<dleonard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>