Re: devfs vs udev, thoughts from a devfs user

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 15:46:05 EST

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:24:57 PST, Mike Bell said:

> I think the space savings are a pretty good reason alone. Add to that
> the fact I think devfs would be a good idea even if it cost MORE
> memory... You can mount a devfs on your RO root instead of needing to
> mount a tmpfs on /dev and then run udev on that.

(As an aside, the original reason I started using devfs was because it created
a separate /dev filesystem, and / can be mounted 'nodev'. But I don't have any
religious preference for mounting devfs-by-kernel or tmpfs-from-initrd).

On the flip side, udev gives me something that devfs *cant* without major
hacking - the ability to attach extended attributes/labels to the device when
it gets created, so things like SELinux can deal with them. (OK, so I admit I'm
still sorting out how to use the SElinux transition SID support for tmpfs ;)