Re: 2.6.0 sound output - wierd effects

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 19:01:53 EST

> On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 01:24, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
>> > Over here the your main one if not using oss emu is alsa-lib I used
>> > 0.9.8 for most of the time, but latest 1.0_rc[12] works as well.
>>
>> Debian doesn't seem to have an alsa-lib exactly.
>
> Should provide /usr/lib/libasound.so.2.0.0 (version may differ).

Aha, thanks ;-)

$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/libasound.so.2.0.0
libasound2: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2.0.0

Package: libasound2
Versions:
0.9.0beta10a-3(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)(/var/lib/dpkg/status)

Which is probably horribly old, knowing Debian stable ;-)

>> > Also, does xmms use oss or alsa as output
>> > driver - switching between the two may or may not improve things?
>>
>> Errm. No idea which it uses, nor can I see anything in it that switches ;-)
>
> If you right click on xmms, and then select options->preferences, on the
> first page to the bottom there should be output plugin. If you cannot
> select alsa, see if there is a xmms-alsa or libxmms-alsa plugin. Sorry,
> I do not know Debian that well.

Thanks, it was on OSS - there's no ALSA selection, nor can I find one.
There's probably one in unstable somewhere, but ... see below.

> Basically as sombody else noted - it might be with the OSS emulation,
> so we want to use native alsa support with xmms ...

I'll play with it - should narrow things down. However, fundamentally,
it used to work in 2.5.74, and is broken as of test3 ... that strongly
implies to me there's a kernel problem. I'd rather fix OSS emulation
if possible, and save everybody migrating to 2.6 from this pain ... ;-)

M.