Re: [RFCI] How best to partition MD/raid devices in 2.6

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 05:17:47 EST

On 2003-11-14T16:30:42,
Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> There are issues with the raid superblock but assuming they can be
> solved, I want partitioning to work easily.
>
> Can LVM work happily with 'legacy' partitioning information?

I'd really suggest to run DM (either LVM2 or EVMS2) on top of md
instead. It's much more flexible; I don't see any benefit in 'old style'
partition information, which has all sorts of problems - ie,
non-transactional updates (_why_ were you running raid again? ;), static
as they can't be modified during runtime etc.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--
High Availability & Clustering \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SUSE Labs | try again. fail again. fail better.