Re: [RFCI] How best to partition MD/raid devices in 2.6

From: Neil Brown
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 00:32:49 EST

On Friday November 14, dang@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 22:11, Neil Brown wrote:
> > RFCI == Request For Clever Ideas.
> >
> > Hi all..
> >
> > I want be able to partition "md" raid arrays.
> > e.g. I want to be able to use RAID1 to mirror sda and sdb as whole
> > drives, and then partitions that into root, swap, other (or whatever
> > suits the particular situation).
>
> <snip>
>
> Can't LVM do this? I have a raid array (mirror) that is LVM'd into
> multiple partitions. It currently runs 2.4, but it should work fine
> with 2.6, right? All the rest of my boxes have 2.6 and LVM, but no raid
> (no duplicate hard drives).

Fair question.
I want it to work with "standard" partition tables such as MSDOS
partitions etc.
I would like to be able to take a single drive that is being used and
has partitions on it, and to add an identical drive beside it, mirror
them, and get a mirrored pair that looked much like the original
drive.
There are issues with the raid superblock but assuming they can be
solved, I want partitioning to work easily.

Can LVM work happily with 'legacy' partitioning information?

NeilBrown