Re: [RFCI] How best to partition MD/raid devices in 2.6

From: Daniel Pittman
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 00:29:00 EST

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Neil Brown wrote:

[...]

> 3/ define minor numbers of block-major-9 that are larger than 255 to
> have 6 bits of partitioning information. i.e.
> 9,0 -> md0
> 9,1 -> md1
> 9,255 -> md255
> 9,256 -> md256
> 9,257 -> md256p1
> 9,257 -> md256p2
> 9,320 -> md257
> 9,321 -> md257p1
> This has least impact on other system and is in some ways simplest,
> but it has the problem of lack of uniformity. You wouldn't be able
> to partition md0, but that isn't a big problem as long as you can
> partition some md arrays.

How about assigning the partition space above

9,0 => md0
9,1 => md1
9,257 => md0p1
9,258 => md0p2
9,320 => md1p1

That should be sensibly backward compatible, I think, and still allow
all the MD devices to be partitioned.

Daniel

--
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical.
-- Niels Bohr