Re: [linux-usb-devel] Sync problem with Ethernet-over-USB driverand Qtopia desktop

From: David Brownell
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 14:39:04 EST

Hong Feng wrote:
Hi All,

I met a very funny problem. I am writing the ethernet-over-usb driver for our PDA based on embedded Linux and QT/Qtopia. ...

Who knows the problem, please give me some comments. BTW, the kernel version is 2.4.18. QT's version is 2.3.6. Qtopia's version is 1.6.2.

And on what sort of hardware?

If you're writing your own ethernet-over-usb driver, perhaps the
problem is somewhere in that stack. Either that ethernet driver,
or the one for your USB device controller could have the bugs.

The ethernet-over-usb driver in the "gadget" stack should behave
quite nicely. It's the only network link on two systems I've
got running right now: a net2280 on an NForce2 box (where 2.6
of course doesn't support the built-in ethernet); and a pxa255
(for nfsroot, MTD has acted broken on that hardware). Neither
one has shown me the kind of un-usability problems you describe,
using either 2.4 or 2.6 kernels. The network "just works", as
it should. On the other hand, I'm not using Qtopia ... ;)

See http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/ for more information about
that stack, and the 2.6 kerneldoc for printable API reference.

- Dave