Re: Linux 2.6.0-test6

From: bill davidsen
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 14:31:17 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309281035370.6307-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Interesting. I'm pretty sure I did a "make allyesconfig" just before the
| test6 release, so apparently x86 includes it indirectly through some path,
| and so it only shows up on m68k and arm?
|
| This, btw, is a pretty common thing. I wonder what we could do to make
| sure that different architectures wouldn't have so different include file
| structures. It's happened _way_ too often.
|
| Any ideas?

If CPU cycles are no object the include names and order can be picked
out of the preprocessor output, add "-E" to the gcc call, pick only the
lines starting with "1" and a header name, save in a text file. The
problem is that config option (including arch) change the output, so
it's only useful as a rough check.

It does run fast enough so that allyes, allno, and allmod configs take a
very short time, so it can be used for "find some of the problems."

Don't know if this is what you wanted, it does allow the comparison
between arch's. Oh, it also shows that some headers are used a lot more
than they need be, a few more ifdef's in the low level header files
could reduce filesystem thrashing during a build. Some folks have
machines which don't keep everything in memory :-(

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc