Re: Spam/LKML

From: Andre Tomt
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 13:17:50 EST

joe briggs wrote:
I am getting hammered with them, though I use a sendmail server. Is this a manifestation or exploit of the buffer-overflow security issue out with sendmail?

It's just a Microsoft virus names Gibe-F/Swen/Automat.AHB that has started spreading this past week or so. Same old, stupid users execute an attachment or whatever that scans for email-addresses and spreads through them.

The antivirus software on a mailserver I run has picked up 39567 of Gibe-F the past 24 hours.

Quoting Sophos (.com):
"W32/Gibe-F is a worm which spreads by emailing itself via its own SMTP engine to addresses extracted from various sources on the victim's drives (e.g. MBX and DBX files). The worm also spreads using the KaZaA peer-to-peer shared folders, via IRC channels and will copy itself to the Startup folder of mapped
network drives. W32/Gibe-F may also attempt to spread via usenet newsgroups (NNTP)."

--
Mvh,
André Tomt