Re: Spam/LKML

From: David S. Miller
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 13:05:46 EST

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:37:43 -0400
joe briggs <jbriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am getting hammered with them, though I use a sendmail server. Is this a
> manifestation or exploit of the buffer-overflow security issue out with
> sendmail?

No.

Anyone in the world can receive linux-kernel postings, even if they
are not subscribed they can obtain such postings from various online
web archives.

Therefore someone harvesting emails for which to send spam can simply
take the sender address of linux-kernel postings.

This particular spam is happening to nearly everyone posting to just
about any list in the world the past few days, not just to here at
vger.kernel.org My wife, for example, does not making posting to the
lists at vger.kernel.org yet she is receiving the same spams everyone
else is.

So please stop these threads about this problem, what can been said
has been said and this issue is totally offtopic.