Re: A couple of 2.4.23-pre4 VM nits

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 10:15:27 EST

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 07:51:27AM -0700, Shantanu Goel wrote:
> I just realized the original code had one desirable
> behaviour that my patch is missing, namely, it
> reclaimed memory from dcache/inode every time swap_out
> is called. Please use the attached patch that
> restores the original behaviour. Otherwise, if the
> interval is very long, no reclamation will happen
> until swap_out() fails which in the common case is
> unlikely.

I overlooked the *failed_swapout, I thought you used only 0 and 1 as
parameters, the new version is fine.

BTW, it would also be cleaner to add a __ in front of the function name,
and to #define a _force version that will pass 1, so you don't have less
readable 0/1 in the caller, but I don't mind even with the status in
version 2 (it's simple enough to understand the semantics of the 0/1).

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk