Re: 2.6.0-test5 vs. Japanese keyboards

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 10:17:33 EST

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 10:26:04PM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:

[good description of Japanese keyboards deleted]

> > If anyone would send me samples of Japanese keyboards, you can be sure
> > I'd test them.
>
> Thank you! I was afraid to ask in advance because I thought that you would
> either refuse or you would ignore the suggestion. Dr. Brouwer did refuse,
> about 3 years ago or so.

Did I really?

But the advantage of a good description is that the information
lives on the net and can be retrieved by anybody. A piece of
hardware takes room and can be tested by only one.

I think no kernel changes are required to use Japanese keyboards today.
(But kbd has to be recompiled with NR_KEYS set to 256.)

Andries

On http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-6.html
there is a reasonably detailed description of the state of
affairs. Maybe nothing more is needed. Of course additions
and corrections are welcome.