Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 16:44:28 EST

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:48:49 +0200
> Willy Tarreau <willy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 06:24:06PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > So stick the address on eth0 not on lo since its not a loopback but an eth0
> > > address, then use arpfilter so you don't arp for the invalid magic shared IP
> > > address, or NAT it, or it may work to do
> > >
> > > ip route add nexthop-addr src my-virtual-addr dev eth0 scope local onlink
> > > ip route add default src my-virtual-addr via nexthop-addr dev eth0 scope global
> >
> > I have a case where this doesn't work
>
> Replying again... Alan does mention in the paragraph you've quoted
> to use arpfilter, which works for every case imaginable.

Okay, I'll show my ignorance and ask... the Documentation for arp_filter
says source routing must be used. Is there some flag I'm missing, or a way
to avoid having a rule per address, or is the 8 bit rule number larger in
2.6, or ??? Or is having a lot of IPs on one machine not an imaginable
case?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc