Re: [grammar] 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)

From: Matt Gibson
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 16:42:19 EST

On Monday 18 Aug 2003 21:39, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "Comparing bitmaps.. vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmap
> > differs"
>
> Hm, but:
>
> "a and b differ"
> "a differs from b"

Yes. Assuming that you're reporting the comparison of two single bitmaps:

"The on-disk bitmap and the correct bitmap differ."
"The on-disk and the correct bitmap differ."
"The on-disk bitmap differs from the correct bitmap."

I'd say the last of those three sounds best; the second sounds a little
stilted because you have to think for a moment to realise that "on-disk" is
being used as a contraction of "on-disk bitmap."

If the difference is between two sets of bitmaps:

"The on-disk bitmaps and the correct bitmaps differ."
"The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differ."
"The on-disk bitmaps differ from the correct bitmaps."

Matt (and that's the last you'll hear from me on this one; there's enough
traffic on here as it is...)

--
"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
and learning how to live amongst them."