Re: The end of embedded Linux?

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 19:44:38 EST

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 12:36:50PM -0700, Gigi Duru wrote:
> As an embedded developer, I can't stand bloat. I think
> an OS designer should feel the same, and develop in a
> fully modular and configurable manner, going for both
> speed and size. For a long time I've felt that Linux
> has got it right, but lately I'm not that sure
> anymore.

Identifying the portions of the kernel with the largest codesize and/or
static data size would help other developers accommodate your needs.
Similarly for dynamic boot-time and runtime allocations.

Even better, if you yourself took action to correct this regression it
would be as welcome as any other Linux development activity.

Bill