Re: [OT] DRM OS

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 08:38:11 EST

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, James Simmons wrote:

> Microsoft patents loading a trusted OS into a trusted CPU. The OS prevents
> untrusted applications from accessing Rights Managed Data.

I haven't looked up the link, but this sounds suspiciously like
what UNIX permission bits have been doing since the 1970s.

I guess MS trying to enforce their patent against anyone would
just get it invalidated, or the claim is narrow enough that
people can work around it.

> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=CR99&S1=5,892,900.UREF.&OS=ref/5,892,900&RS=REF/5,892,900

Then again, this only applies to people unlucky enough to live
in the US. No need to worry.

cheers,

Rik

--
Shortwave goes a long way:  irc.starchat.net  #swl